The Data Controller connected with this Privacy Notice is Johns & Co Real Estate Ltd
In this instance, your data is being processed for the specific purpose of enabling you to rent a property.
2. Lawful Basis
The collection of your data for this purpose is under the Lawful Basis of Contract, because we need to process this information in order to execute a Tenancy Agreement between the Data Subject (Tenant) and the Landlord, who has instructed Johns & Co to act as their Agent in this matter.
3. Information Collected
The personal data we will collect and process about you in connection with this purpose is:
- Telephone number(s)
- Email Address
- Proof of ID (for Right to Rent checks)
- Proof of Address
- Credit Card details (for the payment of deposits)
- Bank details (for the repayment of the deposit)
In addition, we may collect other non-personal data regarding you, such as job title, employer and salary details to confirm affordability.
Under the Lawful Basis referenced in paragraph 2, your data will be retained to the end of the financial year in which your tenancy ceases and for a further 6 years thereafter in accordance with HMRC requirements for financial record keeping.
At the end of this retention period your data will be destroyed using an approved method unless prevented by Court order.
6. Data Sharing
Whilst we control your personal data we will need to share this data with the following parties, for the following purposes, in order to provide you with the services you are seeking from us:
- Eurolink Technology Ltd and Bespoke Systems Ltd for the sole purpose of providing Johns & Co with IT services to maintain and store a consumer database so we can provide you with our service.
- Goodlord Protect Ltd for the sole purpose of referencing tenants.
- A tenancy deposit scheme provider, for the sole purpose of protecting your deposit.
- Inventoryclerkdotcom Ltd for the sole purpose of providing Check-In and Check-Out services at the start and end of a tenancy.
- The Local Authority for the sole purpose of managing the tenant’s liability for council tax.
- Utility Companies for the sole purpose of managing the tenant’s liability to pay for utility consumption whilst renting the property.
- Contractors for the sole purpose of cleaning and maintaining properties let or managed by Johns & CO. Specific company details, if required, can be confirmed to the data subject when arrangements are made for them to visit a property.
- WorldPay (UK) Ltd for the sole purpose of processing credit card payments.
- Johns & Co’s bankers for the purpose of repaying deposits.
- The Property Ombudsman for the sole purpose of administering any investigation by them.
7. Rights of the Data Subject
- Under the General Data Protection Regulation, you, the Data Subject have certain rights regarding the control and processing of your personal data. Details regarding your rights can be found on the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) website.
- Should you wish to contact Johns & Co in order to exercise any of these rights, please email the Data Controller’s representative using the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, please call +44 (0)20 7118 0200 and ask to speak with Sophie Moir.
- Recognising the importance of personal data to our consumers, we endeavour to put in place appropriate organisational and technical measures to protect that data.
- Personal data we hold on electronic media is encrypted and stored in a secure data centre located in the UK.
- We do not generally hold personal data on paper. Where we do take it, we shred it just as soon as the details have been transferred onto our IT systems. In the few instances where we have some legacy files covering historic transactions these are secured in lockable cabinets in secure offices.
- Data Subjects should be aware that not all electronic communications are secure. We use Transport Layer Security (TLS) to encrypt and protect email traffic in line with government advice. However, if your email service does not support TLS, you should be aware that any emails we send or receive may not be protected in transit.
- We will also monitor any emails sent to us, including file attachments, for viruses or malicious software. Please be aware that you have a responsibility to ensure that any email you send is within the bounds of the law.
9. Additional Services
As a consumer of our services we may occasionally contact you to make you aware of other similar services we offer, which we feel could be of assistance to you. Such communications will be sent to you under the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations and you will be given the option to opt out of similar communications on each occasion.
10. Data Protection Concerns
Should you have any concerns regarding the way an organisation is processing your personal data, the ICO recommends that in the first instance you contact the organisation concerned. If the organisation does not address those concerns in an appropriate manner, you then have the option to escalate the issue to the ICO. If you wish to contact us because you have concerns about our use of your personal data, please contact us using the details provided in paragraph 7.2.
This Privacy Notice is kept under review and it is update as appropriate. It was last updated on 1st June 2018.